Spouse Sponsorship

April 16, 2016

Closeup on young beautiful smiling couple.
If you are a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident, you are able to sponsor your loved one from abroad for Permanent Resident status in Canada. So long as you can demonstrate the validity of your marriage and the genuineness of the relationship, you can definitely apply for sponsorship. There are two stages in the process to sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent children to become permanent residents. First: As a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you must apply to sponsor your family member. The Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Canada will process your application to sponsor. The CPC will write you to tell you if Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has approved your application. Second: Your spouse, partner, or dependent children must apply for permanent residence. You must send both your sponsorship application and the permanent residence application for your family members at the same time.

If you want to be a sponsor to your loved-one, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be 18 years of age and older
  • You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • You must live in Canada, or if you live outside of Canada, you must provide proof that you will live in Canada once the person you are sponsoring becomes a Permanent Resident of Canada
  • You and your spouse must sign an agreement that you understand your obligations and responsibilities
  • You must sign an undertaking that you will provide the basic requirements for your spouse & dependents
  • You must provide proof that you have sufficient funds to provide the basic requirements for your spouse

You will not be able to sponsor your spouse in the following circumstances:

  • You signed an Undertaking for a previous spouse or common-law partner and three years have not passed since he or she became a Permanent Resident
  • You receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability

How IoiCanada Immigration Services Can Help You:

  • Draft the necessary forms;
  • Draft appropriate supporting documentation like employment reference letters, personal statements, reference letters from friends and family;
  • Assist you with gathering important documentation that attests to the genuineness of your relationship;
  • Prepare you for your for any interview should one be requested;
  • Follow up with Citizenship and Immigration Canada on your behalf