Caregiver Program

May 2, 2015


Every year, hundreds of thousands of people obtain their permanent resident status in Canada. Like them, you will be applying for your permanent residence status in Canada through the Live-in Caregiver program. e Live-in Caregiver Program of Permanent Residence takes into account those who made their way to Canada temporarily, as live-in caregivers, but have established themselves in Canada through valid work. Canada seeks to assist those who have obtained this worthy experience in Canada to obtain their permanent status and continue to make a positive way for themselves and their immediate family in Canada. There are now three ways to apply for permanent residence through the Caregiver Program. You may apply for permanent residence through any of the options you are eligible for:

  1. Caring for Children Pathway – A pathway to permanent residence for caregivers who have provided child care in a home
  2. Caring for People with High Medical Needs Pathway – A pathway to permanent residence for caregivers who have provided care for the elderly or those with disabilities or chronic disease in a health facility or in a home.
  3. Live-in Caregiver Program – A pathway to permanent residence for live-in caregivers who are already working in Canada with a Live-in Caregiver Program work permit, as well as caregivers who are approved for their first Live-in Caregiver Program work permit based on an employer’s positive Labour Market Impact Assessment application that was submitted to Service Canada on or before November 30, 2014.

What You will Need

  • Be approved to participate in the Caregiver Program at a visa office outside of Canada;
  • Have a valid work permit to work as a Live-in Caregiver for children, seniors or the disabled with a valid employer in Canada; and
  • Complete 24 months of authorized full-time employment as a live-in caregiver within four years from the date you entered Canada under Program.

Medical and Security Checks

Aside from this and the required list of documents, you will also have to undergo police and medical checks. 

In order to obtain a medical exam, you will need to go to a panel physician. A panel physician is one designated by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to perform such exams. Unfortunately, not just any doctor will do. The results of your exam will be send directly to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for assessment.

Police clearances are obtained by contacting your local police authorities and following their process to obtain said checks. Each authority is different so be sure to contact them directly to find out what they require in order for you to obtain the documentation you will need.

Depending on your medical and police history, you may be found either admissible or inadmissible based on the outcome. If you are found inadmissible, you may require further authorization to enter Canada; this document is known as a Temporary Resident Permit.

Applying with Family Members

You can also apply with your family member for permanent resident of Canada. All family members of yours who have applied for permanent residence must be declared and included in your live-in caregiver’s application for permanent residence. All family members, whether accompanying the principal applicant or not, are required to be examined. All eligible family members must undergo and pass medical, criminal and security checks.

Inadmissible family member can cause your application for permanent resident to be denied, so in order for you to make sure your application process to be easy, you have to find out whether your family member admissible or not before applying for the permanent resident with your family member.

How IoiCanada Immigration Services Can Help You

The Caregiver category of Permanent Residence is straight forward when it comes to requirements, but not so easily demonstrated when it comes to documentation. You will need to provide records of employment, proof of hours work and provide other such documents that demonstrate that you have been working in Canada with valid status. In addition to this, your employer will also need to submit documentation in support of your application.

We will assist you:

  • Draft the necessary forms;
  • Draft appropriate supporting documentation like employment reference letters and time sheets;
  • Assist you with gathering important documents like contracts, agreements, proof of your qualifications;
  • Work with you and your employer to ensure the right documents are collected;
  • Submit and follow up on your application, ensuring the fastest possible processing times