Canadian Experience Class

May 2, 2015


The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) allows temporary foreign workers with at least one year of full-time skilled work experience (or an equal amount in part-time) in Canada, to apply for permanent residence in Canada. The experience should be gained in the three years prior to application. All CEC applicants must meet the program’s language proficiency requirements to qualify.

If you gained your skilled work experience in Canada in a NOC skill type 0 or A, you must meet the minimum level of CLB7 in either English or French for all four language abilities. For applicants with Canadian work experience of NOC skill type B, you must meet the minimum level of CLB5 in either English or French for all four language abilities.

Important Note: If you are interested in joining the Canadian Experience Class program after January 1, 2015 you will need to fill out a profile on the Express Entry system.  Profiles are ranked by points which are based on your age, skills, language ability, work experience and the profile of your spouse. Additional points are awarded if you have a job offer or you are nominated by a province or territory. Individuals with the highest point rankings will be invited to apply to immigrate to Canada.

Classify Your Occupation

In order to classify your occupation you need to refer to the National Occupational Classification matrix or NOC. Use the NOC to review the duties of your of your occupation vs. the duties found in the comparative NOC classification. If you can do a quick search for a job title to narrow down the search to occupations in your particular field of work but do not rely heavily on the job title as your duties are what is most important.

  • If you discover that your job meets the requirements of being classified as A, B or 0, you’ve completed the first step toward the successful application of the Canadian experience class.
  • The next step is to keep in mind is that you have the right educational background as well as work experience for intended occupation Canada and have been working on a full-time basis.

Language Requirements

One of the requirements that you must satisfy in order to be eligible for the Canadian Experience Class is the language requirements. You must meet the minimum language levels required for your job in each of the language areas. The language areas are:

  • Speaking
  • Reading
  • Writing
  • Listening

In order to determine the level of language skills you will require, you have to consider your specific job. Your job will determine the minimum language skill that is required. In turn, the language skills you need will depend on the category your job is listed under in the National Occupational Classification (NOC). If the skills you developed is from a job in Canada that falls under NOC O or A, you must meet a minimum level of CLB 7 in English or French, or both; in all four language areas. If you the skills you developed is from a job in Canada that falls under NOC B, you must meet a minimum level of CLB 5 in either English, French, or both for all four language areas.

Bridging Open Work Permit

If you have applied under the Canadian Experience Class, in certain circumstances, you may also consider a Bridging Open Work Permit. A Bridging Open Work Permit allows you to maintain your legal status in Canada as a temporary resident and continue working in Canada while you await the final decision on your Permanent Resident application, specifically in this case, your Canadian Experience Class application.

In order to be eligible for a Bridging Open Work Permit, you, as an applicant under the Canadian Experience Class, must meet the following requirements:

  • You are currently in Canada;
  • You have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within 4 months;
  • You have received a positive determination of eligibility decision on your application ; and
  • You have made an application for an Open Work Permit.

How IoiCanada Immigration Services Can Help You:

The Canadian Experience Class application focuses primarily on your experience and the qualifications for your intended occupation in Canada. Just because you may be employed in a position does not guarantee that you will be successful if you lack the qualifications or experience to be considered eligible for the occupation. According to the National Occupational Classification (NOC), each occupation also comes with qualifications you will have to meet.

We will :

  • Draft the necessary forms;
  • Draft appropriate supporting documentation like employment reference letters;
  • Assist you with gathering important documents like contracts, agreements, proof of your qualifications;
  • Help you determine the most suitable NOC for you;
  • Submit and follow up on your application, ensuring the fastest possible processing times