Who Qualifies to Apply for Citizenship?
As a general rule, individuals with three years of permanent resident status during the preceding four years can qualify for Canadian citizenship. Other conditions for the individual to qualify are that they:
- Be 18 years old or older;
- Must be in Canada for 1095 days during the five years right before the date you sign your application
- You may be able to use some of your time spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person towards your physical presence calculation. Each day spent physically in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident within the last 5 years will count as one half day, with a maximum of 365 days, towards your physical presence.
- Have adequate knowledge of English or French for all applicants between the ages of 18-54;
- Have adequate Knowledge of Canada, for all applicants between the ages of 18-54;
- Not be under a removal order;
- Not have a criminal prohibition;
Applications are submitted to the citizenship office in Sydney, Nova Scotia where they are pre-screened to ensure that application package is complete and the four year residence rule has been met. Applicants are thereafter invited to complete a citizenship test to determine their knowledge of the Canadian political system.
- Download and fill out the forms in the Canadian Citizen Application Package for both you and your children.
- Include all supporting documents.
- Pay the application fee.
- Mail your application to the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Canada Citizenship Test
If your application is accepted you have to write a citizenship test. Children under 18 years of age and persons 54 and over do not have to write the citizenship test. In order to pass the citizenship test , you must be able to show the following:
- Adequate knowledge of English or French.
- Knowledge of Canada, including the rights and responsibilities of citizenship and an understanding of Canada’s history, values, institutions and symbols.
How We Can Help
The Canadian Citizenship application could be long and confusing, but this is why we are here to help you prepare the citizenship application in the simplest way possible.
We will assist you:
- Prepare your application
- Help you prepare for the citizenship test and English test
- Assist you with gathering important documents;
- Submit and follow up on your application, ensuring the fastest possible processing times;
We have much experience in helping people apply for Citizenship. Please Contact us today to find out how we can help you!