Eligible parents and grandparents can apply for a Super Visa. The maximum validity date for the multiple entries Super Visa is ten years, or one month prior to the applicant’s passport’s expiry, whichever is earlier. Within that time, Canadian Super Visa holders can remain in Canada for periods of up to 2-years. In comparison, a regular visitor visa is usually valid for a maximum period of 6-months.
For individuals who are citizens of visa exempt countries, the Super Visa program can still be useful. Persons from visa exempt countries are ordinarily permitted to enter Canada for 6-months without obtaining a visitor visa. Under the new program, a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident from a visa exempt country can apply, from outside of Canada, for a Letter of Introduction, which they can then present to a border official upon arrival to Canada. When presented with a Letter of Introduction, the Canadian border official will normally allow the individual to enter Canada for a period of 2-years.
Another advantage of the Super Visa is its relatively short processing time of approximately 8-weeks.
Eligibility for the Super Visa:
The Super Visa is strictly for parents and grandparents of Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents, as such, you must:
- Be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
- Provide a written statement from the child or grandchild in Canada that they will give you financial support
- Have valid Canadian Medical Insurance Coverage for at least one year
- Have an immigration Medical Exam
- Your child or grandchild must demonstrate that they have the necessary funds available to support you. Therefore, they must meet the minimum necessary income as per LICO.
When processing your Super Visa, an Officer will look at such things as:
- Your ties to your home country;
- The purpose of your visit;
- Your family ties in Canada
- Your financial stability
- The overall economic and political stability in your home country; and
- An invitation from your family
- You are law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity,
- Be in good health
How IoiCanada Immigration Services Can Help You:
- Draft the necessary forms;
- Draft appropriate supporting documentation
- Assist you with gathering important documents
- Prepare you for making an application at a Port of Entry
- Handle all communications with CIC on your behalf